Thursday, March 5, 2009

Burn the witch!

Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon

video

Before I've even listened to this song, I am a little sceptical - the venerable Wikipedia says that Stevie Nicks wrote this song about Celtic witches and was "renowned for dramatic live performances of Rhiannon in flowing gowns". Which sounds like just my thing, on the list right after sticking 6 inch nails through sensitive parts of my anatomy. But Nicks was a reknowned party animal and druggie, so that probably goes along way to describe how an Arizonan would identify with a Celtic witch/goddess.

After listening to it, I can say the following:
(1) It starts with a relatively agreeable harmonised guitar and a bouncing bass
(2) Stevie Nicks has a decent voice, if in a rather 70s, whiny American way
(3) The lyrics are complete garbage, cod-philosophy/mythology in the worst posssible way
(4) It's not a bad song if you can completely disregard the lyrics and are into inoffensive, middle of the road parent music

I guess this is the kind of music my generation's parents used to listen to when they smoke dope, all dressed in corduroy flares and heck of sideburns. I can't relate. I don't even own an item of clothing made out of corduroy.

Verdict: If you can't say anything nice..

Tomorrow: The Drifters - Under the Boardwalk

No comments:

Post a Comment