Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Done Right, Every Time

Aretha Franklin - Do Right Woman, Do Right Man

I know, I know, I missed yesterday. Stop acting like your world fell apart. There was a specific medical reason for it - gluteal glaucoma. Basically, I just couldn't see my ass posting anything. Especially about this song. Which is not to say that there is anything wrong with it. There's not - it's an amazing, beautiful, touching song. And it's sung with incredible emotion, as perfectly arranged as a song could be and all of the instruments just work perfectly in the context of the song - twinkling pianos, bubbling horns, just the slightest hint of upright bass and snare drum, almost in a waltz figure.

To add to this, the vocal harmonies are stunning and Aretha's lead vocals are on the baddest side of badassville. It's also been covered by a veritable clutch of pretenders - everyone from Sinead o'Connor and Cher to the Flying Burrito Brothers and Willie Nelson, none of whom, I'm willing to be, managed to so much as touch the original.

But still, it just doesn't do it for me. I'm just not that into it, to use the popular term. It's cool, but there's no spirit of playfulness, no feeling that Aretha didn't see it as anything more than a job, albeit one that she did really well. I know that's very subjective. I don't care either. Chances are, if you haven't heard this, you'll love it, and if you have, you already do, but maybe it just needs to grow on me.

Verdict: Done right, but not with love.

Tomorrow: The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go


No comments:

Post a Comment