Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pretty Sweet

The Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar

video

I have a feeling that this song is about heroin. I have no idea why. That said, I think it's also about slavery, both literally and figuratively with respect to heroin addiction, something the Stones obviously know nothing about. It's also about sadomasochism and oral sex. Pretty much standard Stones fare then, especially when Mick Jagger describes it as a song about drugs and girls (ever the deconstructionist, our Mick). Reknowned rock journalist Robert Christgau describes it as "a rocker so compelling that it discourages exegesis". Perhaps I thus abandon my attempts to plumb the murky waters of analysis.

Not a chance. I have more grit than Christgau.

The song was performed for the first time at the infamous Altamont concert, which may or may not be an indicator of its effect on people. To be honest, it's pretty up-tempo but bog standard rock and roll in the Mick and Keith tradition of staccato guitar, funky bass and Mick alternately crooning, shouting and making the growly noise that Austin Powers makes, which I find slightly disconcerting. There's also, obviously, an acoustic guitar and electric piano in the mix, along with propulsive, cymbal-heavy drumming courtesy of the drummer voted most-likely-to-be-an-accountant- based-on-dress-sense, Charlie Watts. While I'm not really a huge Stones fan, working my way through the Rolling Stone list has made me appreciate exactly how good they were compared to their contemporaries (Boston, Jackson Browne, The Eagles, take note and stop being rubbish please). This song is far better than any of the other rock songs I've listened to on this mission so far, but is it good enough to take the coveted Best Song Yet title from Smokey Robinson?

Nope, it's good, and it's Rolling Stones down to the ground, but it's not that good. And it doesn't strike me as anything massively original from them, just another four to the floor rocker. Miss You was more original than this and more of a departure from their blues-rock direction.

Verdict: All Hail Keef

Tomorrow: Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive

No comments:

Post a Comment