Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I've always preferred jam

It's a double dose thursday!!

LaBelle - Lady Marmalade




I can't. I'm sorry, I just can't. I really hate disco too much to be objective. Don't listen to this unless you are either (a) camper than a row of pink velvet tents or (b) a rabid Christina Aguileira fan intent on returning to the source. Note that a venn diagram of (a) and (b) would not exactly look like an 8. You could build a soccer stadium in the intersection thereof, in fact. Weimar Republic Germany would be invading it for lebensraum.

Oh, and apparently it's pronounced Lady Marmahlahd. See, I even listened to it. Well, actually only the first minute or so. It's also responsible for making countless generations of adolescent males think they're sophisticated because they can drunkenly slur "Voulez vous couchez avec moi?" to the nearest young lady.

Note to all artists: Sprinkling French into your songs/writing/speeches does not make you "arty" or "sophisticated". It makes you pretentious. Unless you're NOFX covering Champs Elysee, in which case it just makes you look like a parade of clowns. The jury's out on MC Solaar.

Verdict: J'accuse.

Tomorrow: Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit

1 comment:

  1. But you're ignoring the incredible foresight of the video. They soooo looked into the future and saw what outfits we'd all be wearing in the year 2009. That orange lamé, big-shouldered, feathered ensemble is exactly what I'm wearing at my desk...of course, it is casual Friday...

    Where does that put me in your venn diagram??

    ReplyDelete