Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Don't Push Me, Man

Salt-N-Pepa - Push It



I'm a big hip-hop fan. I'm often willing to overlook the relatively common misogyny, violence and other stereotypes to find the gems of the ouevre. That relatively few hip-hop songs have made the top 500 songs list is a little disappointing to me. That this song, apparently about pushing it on the dance floor, made the list is mystifying.

I'm not sure I believe that this song's about dancing. It all sounds like it was intended to be a little sexual. It's also completely bloody awful. It has no redeeming features whatsoever. I'd rather 'push' pins into my eyeballs than 'push it' to this song. It's like a TV show caricature of a bad 80s rap song, or the theme song to an early 80s Eddie Murphy movie.

Verdict: Push off

Tomorrow: John Mellencamp - Pink Houses

No comments:

Post a Comment